Subject: Re: NetBSD in Centris 610
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 10:18:08
--MIdTMoZhcV1D07fI

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:56:48AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> People have reported that GENERIC kernels don't work on fpu-less
> machines. I think the multi-processor case is fixed, but there's still
> an issue with FPSP vs FPU_EMULATE (I suspect). However, no one who's
> reported problems has ever stayed interested long enough to say there
> is or there isn't, understandably -- it requires enormous patience to
> get anything done with a machine that slow.

I can be patient with an LC III (030) and a Performa 636 (040; don't
have the LC040 any more, as I sent it back as part of the purchase
price for the real 040), if you can be patient about getting
results (and about my having the systems shipped to Philadelphia
from St. Louis :^>).

Sounds like we've got a few content LC040 folks already.

> In any case, I think we should stop imposing --soft-float on everyone
> (-m68020-40 should be good enough for all fpu'd machines), and have
> the release mechanism build a 'NOFPU' kernel with --soft-float and
> without M68040.

Sounds reasonable to me. There would, of course, need to be
documentation (in INSTALL, on the web page, in a noisy HEADS-UP
here, and so on) that you want to use the NOFPU kernel if you don't
have an fpu, of course.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net