Subject: Lacie Drivers
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Bryant <mathias01@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2003 10:09:04
Hey guys,

	I posted awhile back about a 2.0 Gig lacie hdd not getting along with
netBSD, though no one responded. I think I have narrowed the problem
down to either a bad drivers, or bad driver instillation or some of the
first blocks of the disk being bad.

	When I first acquired the machine, a Quadra 660AV, the after-market
disk worked great for about a year, until I reformatted it for used
with netBSD. The original disk had a small HFS volume which did not
mount at startup containing the Lacie rescue tools. Do I need to
restore this disk for everything to work properly or was it just there
for connivence?

	Using Silverlining I did a low-level format and then setup my
partitions using the programs A/UX v3.0 Setup. I read in this forum
later that netBSD doesn't like v3.0 so you should use the 2.0 settings.
I've since switched to the v2.0 setting. Anyone know anything about
this one?

	Now when I reboot from netBSD the machine flashes no startup disk,
though sometimes I can hold down command-option-shift-delete and the
computer will boot. I THINK I have it to the point now where the
computer will reboot if it is restarted from mac os 8.1 without fuss.

	Ok, one other thing. Now that the machine is stable again, I have been
trying to install netBSD again. The machine is setup now with a 1.0 Gig
root&user and a 40MB swap. I can fetch the archives and get most of
them unpacked, but then I get a file system full error. I must be using
the swap partition, but it doesn't seem like it's that hard to tell the
installer which partiton to use for what. Can anyone shed some light on
this?

Thanks,

-Matt