Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 doesn't install on Mac IIci with 4GB HD
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/2003 21:43:27
Sorry to correct you in some points...

on 2/18/03 5:20 AM, gabriel rosenkoetter at gr@eclipsed.net wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:10:32AM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
>> Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it> :
>>> MacII has 8 MB only and the installer aborts when pax is executing.
>> pax?
(CUT)

> Sounds like Riccardo's problem is the way in which pax(1) manages
> memory, at least when running under an OS with bad memory managment
> (like Mac OS). Arguably a portability complaint against our pax(1)
> implementation.
Well, then NetBSD has really a bad memory implementation! I am booting the
installer kernel and installing from that to the BSD partition. The
instalelr uses PAX to decompress the .tgz base packages needed. And it fails
there

> Don't recall what the acronym means, but it's a specific format for
> the SIMM.
Phase Alignment IIRC

> In any case, the Mac IIs can only go to 20 MBs and the IIx to 32
> MBs. Not sure where the IIci falls.
No, both the IIci and the II can go up to 128 MB. But the IIci takes
"normal" SIMMS. The II requires a special signal to be able to handle simms
gretater than 1MB (or was it 2MB?). You can use PAL simms in a MacIIci but
not vice-versa. In the pescific that means that i have 4x4MB simms that go
in to the IIci only. So I couldn't verify if with more RAM the II would
handle installation more graciously.

-ric

PS: I have no idea of how I could "upload" an Image... how t make it and
where to. I don't have extra space to copy the files.