Subject: Re: Netatalk authentication problem from OS X - 8.1 works
To: Bruce Harada <bruce@ask.ne.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/2003 11:47:19
At 10:54 PM +0900 2/16/03, Bruce Harada wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:05:34 -0800
>"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>>  The BSD copyright license says you can't modify the copyright.  The
>>  GPL says you have to modify the copyright to force the GPL.
>>  Conflict.  That's why the gcc code is carefully segregated from the
>>  kernel code in NetBSD.
>
>This is certainly not the place for GPL discussion, but just to make it clear,
>as long as the copyright notice is preserved, there's no particular legal
>problem with relicensing BSD code under the GPL (as has been done several
>times with drivers in the Linux kernel). The copyright and the license are two
>separate things.

Since the license is part of the copyright in both cases it's
oversimplified to say they're separate.  Since the BSD one is less
restrictive it sounds plausible that you might be able to impose GPL
over BSD, but I'd have to read it carefully to form an opinion.

I agree that this is off topic for this list.