Subject: Re: cross compile and fpu emulation
To: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/2003 11:45:58
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Mattias Sandstrom wrote:

> here's how i do the cross compile on my i386 1.6 system. am i missing
> something?
>
> cd /usr/src/
> ./build.sh -T /usr/cross -m mac68k tools
> cd sys/arch/mac68k/conf
> /usr/cross/bin/nbconfig GENERIC
> cd ../compile/GENERIC
> /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-mac68k depend
> /usr/cross/bin/nbmake-mac68k

That's OK.

Try building a custom kernel *without* options FPSP. Scott didn't
agree with me, but I still think stuffing jumps to non-emulated 68040X
instructions directly into the exception vector table is the wrong
thing to do on non-68040 machines.

Another thing that's been demonstrated to help particular FPU-less
machines, is to bypass the multi-processor switches by enabling just
one processor, and to generally cut down on the size of the kernel.
Maybe start with PB170 or SMALLRAM, and add options FPU_EMULATE.

Frederick