Subject: OT: A/UX (was Re: NetBSD 1.6 doesn't install on Mac IIci with 4GB HD)
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: ML <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/2003 08:36:29
Hello,

> What's wrong with A/UX? I rather like it.
(grin) Because of some really obscure hardware that's unlikely to be
supported any time soon ( a cool PDS graphics board from Miro, an Ethernet
board with lots of memory and a 68000 and so on ) that I none the less like
to use I had to make friends with it. It could be a lot worse. The finder
is a (rather big) step back from 8.1, but the rest is just cool...
Provided you have an Apple-approved CDROM ( my Pioneer didn't work, an old
Panasonic did ), find all the binaries that make life more bearable ( tcsh,
gzip / gtar, joe, some decent wm, an old gcc since A/UX support was dropped
around 3.0 ) and of course the ThreadManager and some other System 7
extensions.
Has anyone compiled netatalk under A/UX ? AppleShare (Pro) works only in
the MacOS environment or is there a UNIX-native Version somewhere ?

Sorry for being far off-topic but that just had to be said.

have fun anyway
Michael