Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 doesn't install on Mac IIci with 4GB HD
To: port-mac68k @ netbsd. org <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/2003 23:20:39
--nhYGnrYv1PEJ5gA2

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:10:32AM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it> :
> > MacII has 8 MB only and the installer aborts when pax is executing.
> pax?

pax(1). It's what you get when you say tar these days on NetBSD, and
it's what we've used in the installer for years. It's also got a
POSIX-standard interface, which means it's there and works exactly
the same way under Solaris, HP-UX, even Linux (probably). It's
quite nice.

Sounds like Riccardo's problem is the way in which pax(1) manages
memory, at least when running under an OS with bad memory managment
(like Mac OS). Arguably a portability complaint against our pax(1)
implementation.

> PAL simms???

Don't recall what the acronym means, but it's a specific format for
the SIMM.

In any case, the Mac IIs can only go to 20 MBs and the IIx to 32
MBs. Not sure where the IIci falls.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net