Subject: NetBSD 1.6 doesn't install on Mac IIci with 4GB HD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Pascal BEZOU <pbezou@makiciel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/2003 13:35:15
Hi!

I just wake up my old Mac IIci (8MB RAM, 4 GB HD, OS 7.6) to install NetBSD
and use it as a web server.
I partition my disk that way :
1- Root partition 830MB
2- Swap partition 128MB
3- Usr partition 1GB
4- Var partition 1GB
5- Home partition 1GB
6- Mac partition 128MB
And I allocate the max RAM available to the booter and installer (6MB)

I first used the traditional method but I got the famous "SCSI Read #5"
error when attempting to mount manually the Home and Var partition in the
installer.
So I wanted to use the sysinst method, but after setting the option
correctly in the booter, I type Cmd-B to start the boot and this is what
happened:
The app works for some time, writing some numbers on the screen, then it set
the monitor setting and write "Bye, Bye" and a sentence "I sez to him,
[etc.]", and nothing else happen for the next 20 min. I must turn off the
Mac to reboot.

So, what can I do?

In order to test NetBSD, I launch the traditional method on the Root
partition only (base, etc and kern-generic packages only), without mounting
the other partitions. I will try to mount the other partitions in NetBSD,
and move the /usr, /var and /home folder on these partitions.
May I do this easily?

Thanks.