Subject: Re: Netatalk authentication problem from OS X - 8.1 works
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/2003 23:05:34
At 8:29 PM -0600 2/15/03, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>  > Granted it's more up-to-date, but I thought there was license problem
>>  with the sourceforge stuff.  The original was released with a
>>  copyright that didn't allow the GPL modification to the copyright or
>>  something?
>>
>>  Is the sourceforge stuff legal?
>
>What??? Can you supply a URI? The original UMich license is reproduced
>in the current code, and I don't see anything like that in there. It's
>just a classic BSD license, with a no-advertising clause.

I'm just going by a fuzzy memory of some discussions on this very
list a couple of years ago or more.

The BSD copyright license says you can't modify the copyright.  The
GPL says you have to modify the copyright to force the GPL.
Conflict.  That's why the gcc code is carefully segregated from the
kernel code in NetBSD.

Realistically I doubt anyone cares.  I certainly wouldn't want to
guess how a court would resolve a disagreement if one were to appear.