Subject: Re: Netatalk authentication problem from OS X - 8.1 works
To: Bhavesh Patel <bhavesh@bcpatel.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2003 21:16:50
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Bhavesh Patel wrote:

> I've just installed mac68k 1.6 on my Quadra 605  (w/FPU) and installed
> netatalk-asun via pkg_add.  I'm not sure where the config files (papd, afpd,
> atalkd) reside

You can see how the package was configured with:

    pkg_info -B netatalk | grep ^PKG_SYSCONFDIR

It will probably be /usr/pkg/etc, which puts the config files in
/usr/pkg/etc/netatalk. If you want it in a more natural place, you
can rebuild yourself with PKG_SYSCONFDIR=/etc in your ${MAKECONF}.

> and upon bootup I see warnings stating that $atalkd, $afpd,
> and $papd are not set properly.
>
> Despite these warnings, from a Mac OS 8.1 Quadra, I can connect to and mount
> my NetBSD share.

Sounds like a bug in the script. They're not supposed to do anything
if you don't have

atalkd=YES
afpd=YES
papd=YES

and maybe

timelord=YES

or

timelord=NO

I think that's fixed in netatalk-1.5.5, the latest version.

> When I choose connect to server from a 10.2.4 machine, I see the Q605 listed
> as a server.  I then enter my login & password, but authentication fails
> giving me a "Login failed - Unknown user, incorrect password or log on is
> disabled" error.
>
> This is strange as I'm using the same login & password that works from OS
> 8.1.
>
> Help with both the configuration files and the authentication please.

Try using the *netatalk* package. I don't even know why we're still
keeping the obsolete versions in netatalk-asun and netatalk-umich
around. A quick look at the home page on SourceForge shows that even
that package is out-of-date -- they'are at 1.6.0 already -- but 1.5.5
is probably your best bet. The package you're using was released
before Darwin was even thought of.

Frederick