Subject: netBSD nuking my HD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Bryant <mathias01@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2003 10:39:34
Hey guys,

	I have a Quadra 660 AV with a 2.0 Gig LaCie SCSI drive in several
partitions. The HFS partition (1 gig) is running Mac OS 8.1 and the
rest of the drive is set up for netBSD 1.6. If I use the computer in OS
8.1 (i.e. not boot into netBSD) then if works great, no issues. Just
like one would expect. However, when I start booting into netBSD then
things get odd. netBSD boots with no problems, but sometimes (at least
half the time) I get a flashing startup disk on restart. When I boot
from an external SCSI backup disk, the internal drive either doesn't
show up at all (i.e. doesn't show up on the scsi chain) , has no
format, has bad drivers, can't be read, or some other such problem.
Usually I let the machine stay off overnight and then try again in the
morning and sometimes it will boot again, but I'm afraid to go back in
netBSD (though I keep doing it).

	The machine did have a dead PRAM battery that was replaced yesterday,
but that didn't seem to help much. Also as I went to setup users, none
of the partitions above "sb0b" showed up, even though there should be
two more. I'm thinking there was damage to the partition table on the
first few boots into netBSD. Oh look, sad mac 0000000F / 00000001 this
time. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

-Matt

ps - I'm hoping to setup the machine as a hotline server if the above
problems ever get solved. If anyone has compiled a hotline server like
HSX for mac68k betBSD, let me know your experiences.