Subject: Re: Backup to zip
To: olof hennig <bbq@hennig.nu>
From: elliot schlegelmilch <elliot@sillymotherfucker.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2002 13:25:11
I noticed no one answered yet.  The shell script could be as
complex as you want to make it. I would start with something like
this:

#!/bin/sh
mount /dev/zip /mnt && \
tar -zxvf /mnt/`date +%d%b%Y`.tgz /www/htdocs /var/log/messages
/var/db/mysql
umount /mnt

granted, that will will fill up the disk after time, so you would
have to purge old records, or add something like

rm /mnt/`date -v "-1m" +%d%b%Y`.tgz

which will delete the file that is one month old. I had something
like the above script running in cron nightly. you might need to
stop mysql and restart it instead of copying while it's on. i'm
not sure. but hopefully you have something to start on. I just
typed this off the top of my head, so i wouldn't copy/paste
anything. but hopefully you get an idea.

From: olof hennig <bbq@hennig.nu>
Date:  Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:01:33 +0100

Get your own evilemail.com address at http://www.evilemail.com