Subject: Re: What do you use NetBSD/Mac68k for??
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/2002 11:32:37
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:48:21AM -0600, Jonathan Newquist wrote:
> Even if you dont have a good outside clock server, you can make all
> your internal boxes "peers" to each other, and they should sync well
> enough for your logfile purposes.  I have heard DEC machines had
> excellent clocks; dont know if that would be true of your Compaq too.

the problem with time slippage on the macs is that it's highly dependent
on disk usage and thus more random than systematic.  ntp has a really
hard time coping when random exceeds systematic error.

basically the SCSI drivers have interrupts turned off so long that clock
interrupts are getting lost...

    "i'm convinced that the cray cabinet has an outlet for plugging in
    welding attachments."  --  Skeezics Boondoggle, on the cray CS6400