Subject: RE: What do you use NetBSD/Mac68k for??
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2002 17:19:05
Hi,

> Regarding your quadra's time-syncing question, have you tried
> installing ntpd?  I got some ridiculous drift rates while compiling
> kernels & packages too, but the problem went away after I got ntpd
> running.

> Even if you dont have a good outside clock server, you can make all your
> internal boxes "peers" to each other, and they should sync well enough
> for your logfile purposes.  I have heard DEC machines had excellent
> clocks; dont know if that would be true of your Compaq too.

ntpd sometimes cuases problems if the drift is too large, partly because
it's always trying to compensate. It's better, at least CPU wise, to just
set up ntpdate to run once an hour.

For example, as root, do this:
crontab -e
(add this next line)
@hourly		ntpdate -bs reva.sixgirls.org

reva.sixgirls.org, incidentally, is my publically available Stratum 2 time
server, so everyone is welcome to use it.

Make the options -bsv if you'd like to look at your logs and see how many
seconds the time is corrected per hour.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs