Subject: Re: Odd install issues with 1.5.2 on a PB165
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Jon <k_m34@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/2002 17:16:42
--- nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
> 	Interesting. That is usually a sign of a corrupted kernel.
> (or a badly built custom kernel :-)

Which I think is what was suspected when I first posted about problems.
 I used the same CD for each install, so if corruption is occurring, it
is on the file system itself.  That keeps bringing me back to old inode
vs new inode format as the "only" difference between installs that work
and ones that fail.

> 	Also interesting. Can you remember (or did you keep)
> the debug output from the Booter?

This my not be from the most recent failure, but it is in the logs:
(hand copied)
<start>

Logging to bootlog
Booter version  : 1.11.4a3
Free heap memory : 4829KB (out of 5000KB total requested)
----------
Macintosh type (MACHID) : 84
RAM size (physical RAM) : 8MB
System file version   : 7.1.0
Has AppleScript.
----------
Booting...transparent = 1
MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00.
1806668+100204+227448+208980+209617

Failed to set kernel symbol _boothowto.

<end>

At which point would hang.   Other entries in the Booter log that were
successful have the same numbers.

Further:  i seems like my hangs and crashes might be VM/MMU related.  I
remember one crash was an MMU fault or something.  Occasionally I can
get ps to hang.  In the debugger I type ps and it is usually
PID: xxx PPID: xxx PGRP: xxx UID: xxxx S: 3 FLAGS: 0x4006 COMMAND: ps
WAIT: vmmaplk

Anything more that I should do in db to help?