Subject: Re: mac68k Packages for 1.6
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/2002 14:46:31
>Hi,
>
>>  Is there a particular reason that there are not any packages available
>>  for NetBSD/mac68k 1.6? Just wondering because they exist for the
>>  previous versions and I was surprised that they aren't there for 1.6.
>
>Binary packages take a while to build, and the fastest m68k systems
>available are 50 - 66 MHz 68060s. I have a 60 MHz 68060 Amiga with UW SCSI
>and 128 megs of memory doing this task, and things were running just fine
>for almost a month, but the primary pkg disk died (head crash), so
>everything needed to get set up again and started from scratch.
>
>Current status: 25.8%. However, the progress is not linear; all of the
>simple packages (packages without dependencies) are built first, followed
>by packages with dependencies. Because many of the common packages are
>simple packages, I will upload what has already been built in a week or
>so, when I expect the progress to be around 50%.
>
>Other package building news (since I'm talking about it, I might as well
>give you the whole scoop): I have a 1U Amiga with a 50 MHz 68060, 256 megs
>of memory, and an UW SCSI 18 gig drive (and maybe, soon, a really big IDE
>on an IDE - SCSI adapter on the SCSI bus) which I'd like to set up to do
>nothing but package builds and an occasional source tree build. I'm
>currently looking to find a colo provider to donate the space and (very
>minimal) power and bandwidth.
>
>Thanks,
>John Klos
>Sixgirls Computing Labs

Why can't the bulk package build be distrubuted out?  My IIci is not
doing much other than defending my LAN and serving all the Interent
traffic to my G4 (and occasionally with my other Macs).  Let us with
idle process time help out.  I have already built some packages for
this box, why should this effort be duplicated?
--
Randy Beaudreault

"Spam in a can" - a description of the first astronauts

"Love is like solving the perfect murder.  It's good to be good,
but better to be lucky" - Det. Frank Pembleton
 From the show, "Homicide: Life On The Street"