Subject: Re: mac68k Packages for 1.6
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/2002 14:30:19
Hi,

> Is there a particular reason that there are not any packages available
> for NetBSD/mac68k 1.6? Just wondering because they exist for the
> previous versions and I was surprised that they aren't there for 1.6.

Binary packages take a while to build, and the fastest m68k systems
available are 50 - 66 MHz 68060s. I have a 60 MHz 68060 Amiga with UW SCSI
and 128 megs of memory doing this task, and things were running just fine
for almost a month, but the primary pkg disk died (head crash), so
everything needed to get set up again and started from scratch.

Current status: 25.8%. However, the progress is not linear; all of the
simple packages (packages without dependencies) are built first, followed
by packages with dependencies. Because many of the common packages are
simple packages, I will upload what has already been built in a week or
so, when I expect the progress to be around 50%.

Other package building news (since I'm talking about it, I might as well
give you the whole scoop): I have a 1U Amiga with a 50 MHz 68060, 256 megs
of memory, and an UW SCSI 18 gig drive (and maybe, soon, a really big IDE
on an IDE - SCSI adapter on the SCSI bus) which I'd like to set up to do
nothing but package builds and an occasional source tree build. I'm
currently looking to find a colo provider to donate the space and (very
minimal) power and bandwidth.

Thanks,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs