Subject: Re: Hang at adb0 - 1.6sbc
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/2002 18:21:16
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
> >
> >>  I did a clean install of 1.6 (kernel,base,etc sets), built the devs,
> >>  and tried to boot.
> >>  just after doing the floating point it types
> >>
> >>  adb0
> >>
> >>  and hangs. It has already done adb0 at obio0. It doesn't seem to
> >>  matter whether I use a serial console or not.
> >
> >When you use a serial console, does that mean the mouse and keyboard
> >are disconnected?
>
> No, just that I specify it in the booter. The serial console works ok
> - all the boot stuff up to the line
>
> adb0
>
> gets put on the serial console, just as with 1.5.3

Well, NetBSD may not like the hardware. See what happens with no
keyboard or mouse attached.

> >>  I am using a IIvx with 68 meg RAM and 2 gig disk divided into
> >>  root&usr, swap, & usr.
> >>  I am  using the SBC kernel, as that has always worked best before.
> >
> >Could you try with a custom kernel built for 68030, no FPSP?
>
> Not until I get it to boot, which is the problem in the first place!
> No way to create a custom 030 kernel for 1.6

You don't actually need to be running NetBSD 1.6 to build a 1.6
kernel. The whole release is even reported to build under Cygwin. I am
running 1.6 (i386) and I have the sources; I'll put a MacII kernel up
later tonight for testing. I think it's failing too early in the boot
to have anything to do with floating point, though. I'd guess, rather,
NetBSD doesn't like something about the hardware.

Frederick