Subject: Re: faq 6.6 (floppies), modem networking, faq 4.12 (scsiread)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/2002 05:14:58
>FAQ point 6.6 seems to indicate that one can't use floppies with the
>mac68k port.  Is this correct or am I reading it wrong?

Floppy support for 800k disks with the SWIM chip (I think that's the
right combination...there are 800 and 1.4MB floppies, and SWIM and
SWIM2 chips) was added at least 2 years ago.

>If not, it is kind of a bugger to get anything transferred to/from
>the machine.  (I need to at least get dt for inverse video, it's
>driving me nuts right now.)  My ethernet card is not supported under
>NetBSD either.  (At least, I assume the 1997 status page is still
>accurate.)  Is there a way to copy files between the MacOS and
>NetBSD parts of the disk?

You can use the cpin/cpout feature of the MacOS installer, or you can
use the "hfsutils" package from the NetBSD side. One could argue that
a unix machine isn't much use without a network, though ;-). You
could also use a null modem cable to connect your NetBSD machine to
another machine and run something like Zterm on the MacOS box (or
hyperterm or something on PeeCee) and use the
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/comms/lrzsz/ package
to use zmodem to transfer files between them. It's certainly slow
compared to hard drive/network speeds, but it gets the job done.

>Or can someone give me a URL to how to get my modem to work?  I've
>never tried to (or needed to) configure a modem under *nix before,
>so I need something more than man pages and FAQ entries.  Thanks in
>advance.

Depends on what you plan to do with the modem. I've always used the
ppp package from
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-8.html#ss8.3. Then
there's cu/tip for non-ppp communications. The above note using the
null-modem cable is for using the serial port without using a
modem...it will be faster than using a modem if the 2 machines are in
close enough proximity to make it feasible.

HTH
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.