Subject: Re: Apache install
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/2002 00:43:19
> > Get the pkgsrc tree, put the line:
> > LOCALBASE=/usr/local
> > into your /etc/mk.conf, cd /usr/pkgsrc/www/apache, make install, and
> > everything will be where it should be.
>
> That's a harsh statement isn't it?  The package can be built and run
> from any number of places.  The default for NetBSD is /usr/pkg/bin --
> /usr/local was set aside for user added locals so loading pre-build
> binaries wouldn't clobber user added programs.  Seems logical to me and
> a lot of others.

Most people are used to seeing their software in /usr/local/ on GNU/Linux
and other places. I guess I should've been more clear that, if you wanted
to see it there specifically, then do this.

> Seems much easier than blowing off the pre-build binary package and
> building your own.
>
> I was wondering why we hadn't seen a new set of m68k ELF packages.  Is
> it because you have a difference of philosophy on how packages should
> be built?  If you're not building them anymore please let me know and
> I'll start them again on my system.

No, I have no problem with the philosophy of pre-build packages. I didn't
mean to seem so dismissive.

The bulk package m68060 machine is chugging away. After losing the disk
on which building was occurring midway through a build, it's a bit behind,
but the new disks hopefully will prove to be more reliable.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs