Subject: RE: faq 6.6 (floppies), modem networking, faq 4.12 (scsiread)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Newquist <jnewquis@esu10.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2002 11:38:17
Hi Tim & all-

-----Original Message-----
From: Larson, Timothy E. [mailto:Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 6:54 PM
To: 'port-mac68k@netbsd.org'

>If not, it is kind of a bugger to get anything transferred to/from the =
machine.  (I need to at least get dt for inverse=20
>video, it's driving me nuts right now.)  My ethernet card is not =
supported under NetBSD either.  (At least, I assume the=20
>1997 status page is still accurate.)  Is there a way to copy files =
between the MacOS and NetBSD parts of the disk?  Or can=20
>someone give me a URL to how to get my modem to work?  I've never tried =
to (or needed to) configure a modem under *nix=20
>before, so I need something more than man pages and FAQ entries.  =
Thanks in advance.

Not that Ive done it either, but the Mac serials are said to be standard =
RS422 ports.  So except for the strange plug shape, all the usual =
methods of hooking up & controlling external serial modems should apply.

Has anyone tried ppp or netatalk between macs over direct serial cables? =
 I know people have said those localtalk boxes are unsupported, but I =
thought direct links should work.  This is another thing on my list to =
try...  On a direct link, RS422 can do 10Mbit/s, according to the spec.

About transfer between partitions, have you tried the hfsutils package?  =
I assume you are talking about transferring stuff other than the install =
sets.  For that much, the traditional installer has usually worked fine =
for me.

Maybe hfsutils is something the mac68k port should include in the base =
install set.

>Regarding FAQ point 4.12, I noticed this problem when trying to mount =
my small /var and /tmp partitions (toward the end of=20
>the disk) during Traditional installation.  My disk is 1.2GB.  When I =
gave up and rolled that space into the root partition, >it went fine.  I =
don't know if that's significant, but it wasn't mentioned so I thought =
I'd pass it on.

Good point: =20

Who should us newbies be contacting, when we find glitches & workarounds =
that we think should go into the faq or install-doc collections?  Still =
ender@macbsd, or has that changed since 1998?  I have accumulated a =
couple items in that category too.

Cheers,
Newqjon