Subject: Re: Opinions/folk tales/etcetera
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/2002 15:10:26
--uxuisgdDHaNETlh8

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:13:02PM -0400, Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
> -made about 6 different '.xsession's and get kicked back to the
> login screen in xdm every time.  I am a fvwm2 fan and wanted to
> specify it, but even if I just try to launch twm in the .xsession
> file, it kicks back out.  I'm using completely default 1.5.3 X
> monochrome server @640x480.  I don't remember if I tried sticking
> a .xsession in /root and just did 'startx', duh I should try that...

=2Exsession is meaningless for startx; it's looking for .xinitrc. xdm
reads .xsession. (Hardlinking the two isn't a bad idea.)

Aside from the ampersanding advice, note that if you've running
fvwm2 out of pkgsrc and aren't installing X packages into
/usr/X11R6/bin, xdm's PATH probably doesn't include /usr/pkg/bin, so
you'll need to use the full path for your window manager or alter
files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm (probably Xsession, but it's been a
while since I set up a workstation from scratch) to set PATH
appropriately.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net