Subject: Re: install NetBSD on quadra 630 or newbie to port-mac68k
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/2002 22:29:11
Hi,

> What do you mean it "doesn't see" wd0b? "disklabel wd0" doesn't have
> a "b" entry? Sounds like you need to go into sysinstall's partition
> editor to set the NetBSD secret-magic bits that tell the kernel which
> is "root" and which is "swap". "Mkfs" could do it, too, but only on
> SCSI, not on IDE. "pdisk" doesn't set the magic bits, either. You
> really need to do it in "sysinstall".

What I mean is that the Mac O/S doesn't try to format that partition
everytine that I reboot, but it tries format the root&usr partition
everytime. I know that it is try to format the root&user partition because
I have a 3.2 gig hard drive, and the partition that it is trying to
format is 2.5 gigs.

But seens I wrote that email, I updated the drivers for the hard drive
(Mac O/S), and reinstalled the Mac O/S. This stopped Mac O/S from trying
to partition the root&usr partition.

But I am still having a problem, the booter will not load the kernel from
the root partition. This is the error it gives:

cannot get configuration of ATA drive 0 error -50
magic numbers do not match - Improper UFS partition
Could not open Kernel "netbsd"

At the rest of sounding really stupid...

How do I set the NetBSD secret-magic bits that tell the kernel which is
"root" and which is "swap"?

Thanks,
Al