Subject: Re: install NetBSD on quadra 630 or newbie to port-mac68k
To: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/2002 20:37:52
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, webmaster@datazap.net wrote:

> > MacOS only asks about formatting HFS partitions.  You must have some
> > other partitions that are HFS type that you haven't used yet.  Either
> > let MacOS initialize them to shut it up from complaining, or go back
> > into sysinst and make them into some other type of partition.  Mark
> > them "Free" and MacOS will stop complaining.
>
> The partition that it is complaining about is the wd0a (root & usr). Yet,
> it doesn't see the wd0b (swap). Also, NetBSD will not boot unless I boot
> it from a kernel that is on the Mac partition, and it always asks where
> the root partition is. Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this?

What do you mean it "doesn't see" wd0b? "disklabel wd0" doesn't have
a "b" entry? Sounds like you need to go into sysinstall's partition
editor to set the NetBSD secret-magic bits that tell the kernel which
is "root" and which is "swap". "Mkfs" could do it, too, but only on
SCSI, not on IDE. "pdisk" doesn't set the magic bits, either. You
really need to do it in "sysinstall".

Frederick