Subject: Re: install NetBSD on quadra 630 or newbie to port-mac68k
To: None <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/2002 20:59:19
> > > I am trying to install NetBSD 1.6 on a Quadra 630. I would like to turn it
> > > into router. Anyway, I have been running into some problems. First of all,
> > > is there doc on how to install NetBSD on a Mac with an IDE hard drive?
> > > Does anyone know what ethernet cards are compatible with NetBSD? The FAQs
> > > seem to be a little bit vague in this area. The reason why I am asking is
> > > because with the ethernet card that's in it now the kernel is recognizing
> > > the card at boot up, but it seems to crash if I try to use it. Could
> > > anyone give a reason as to why this is happening?

> > What's the brand and chipset? That will help considerably :-)

> It is an Apple ethernet CS AAUI card 630-0736-B (CommSlot), and the
> chipset is Sonic (DP83916VNF-LP). NetBSD 1.6 seems to configure the card
> at bootup.

There is a test kernel link at

	http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/ethernet.html

for the "Apple LC/Comm Slot" card. While there is support for the Sonic
DP83932, I don't think the -16 is supported yet by the standard kernel
(someone correct me here).

By crash, I am assuming you mean you get dumped to the debugger or some
such, or does it hang outright? Sometimes the broken FPU support on LC040's
can manifest like that, too.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Rational behavior is a choice, not a predestination. -- Kent Paul Dolan ----