Subject: Re: KDE build problems on 1.6 (CUPS & libtool)
To: Mark Derbyshire <mark@taom.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/2002 16:15:24
On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Mark Derbyshire wrote:

> I'm an OS refugee converting a few 68k Macs to NetBSD 1.6. All the basic
> installs went cleanly, I built Xmac68k_color and it works, and I've been
> building some standard NetBSD packages, all of which had allowed me to
> sleep at the wheel. My 660AV had been cranking away fine for the past week
> on x11/kde3 until it hit kdelibs3.
>
> The first problem I noticed was that the kdelibs3 configure script simply
> refuses to recognize that I have the CUPS package installed. First
> config.log complained that there was no -lcups lib, even though it was in
> /usr/local/lib. So I short circuited that and it next complained that the
> header cups/cups.h wasn't there, in spite of it being in
> /usr/local/include. Even config.log shows all the correct paths (especially
> /usr/local/include & lib) are being handed off to cc.

Are you using pkgsrc? If not, please do as it's our supported way of
getting 3rd party programs to build.

If you are, why is your cups library in /usr/local?

> I got pkgsrc with sup on 5 October and the only non-default selection I
> made was to use /usr/local instead of /usr/pkg (I really tried to make it
> work, but after hacking away for hours on some non-NetBSD package config
> and make files, I threw in the towel). I use tcsh and also set unlimit
> datasize, but I can't say if these have any effect.

Ahh. You're using pkgsrc. Good.

How exactly did you set it to use /usr/local instead of /usr/pkg? Also,
what packages were giving you problems with /usr/pkg?

Bug the folks on tech-pkg, they should be able to help.

> I'm able to work around these problems, but being a newcomer, I can't be
> certain that they are not self-induced. Either way I would like to
> understand so the appropriate action can be taken. My gut feels like the
> CUPS problem could be 68k specific, but I don't think libtool is. If I'm on
> the wrong list, please let me know.

Take care,

Bill