Subject: Re: Status of LC040?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/2002 20:53:40
--u3bvv0EcKsvvYeex

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 01:50:37PM +0200, Magnus Henoch wrote:
> Is it so, that all LC040 processors need workarounds, but those
> prior to revision 2E71M won't work anyway?

That is correct. (I'm unconvinced on the "2E71M masked processors
can work" part, but I'm not as familiar with this as others.)

> Or do only the earlier revisions need workarounds?

The earlier revisions will never work (that is, even SoftwareFPU
under Mac OS doesn't get you a working FPU; the registers of the
chip itself operates in a way that hamstrings any attempt to emulate
floating point math). The later revisions *might* work, but don't
at present with NetBSD/mac68k unless something's changed drastically
and I didn't notice.

> What is the current status of these fixes?

Non-existant, to my knowledge.

> On my chip I read "XC68LC040RC25B", "02E23G" and "QEZH9428B".

I believe that means your mask is 2E23G, so in theory software FPE
could work for you.

Note that software FPE is *painfully* slow. You don't want to be
using it if you can at all avoid it.

> Would I be better off trying to find something else?

You'd be best off removing the LC040 and replacing it with a real
040. Provided your processor is socketed (I don't recall whether or
not that's the case in the 475, but popping open the case will
answer that question for you) or soldered. In the latter case,
you'll have a hard time replacing the processor. Based on another
post, though, it sounds like you're okay.

A (used) 040 should run you $20 or less these days from any of a
variety of online, Mac hardware merchants. Don't get suckered and
pay way too much to Sun Remarketing for it, do a Google search for
"mac hardware" or something similar instead. It may not be a part
that's listed on a sales web site, but call and find out if
merchant's have (or could get) one.

When I replaced the chip in my Performa 636 five, maybe six years
ago, I got the 040 from a nice man in Texas named Bucky. But that's
all I remember, and the sales information is several states away.

Good luck...

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net