Subject: Re: scsi
To: elliot schlegelmilch <elliot@esus.cs.montana.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/2002 21:08:39
At 5:16 PM -0600 10/11/02, elliot schlegelmilch wrote:
>Hi. I'm new to the list, and some time ago aquired a powerbook 160. It
>only has 4 meg of ram. I have not yet attempted to install netbsd, and
>also, figured I would need to borrow a machine that has 8 meg to install
>with. However, I finally figured out a purpose for this box. The trouble
>is, as i read recently, the display is unsupported and I must use a serial
>console. That in it self isn't a problem, except I was planning on linking
>up to my NAT machine with a 'hardline' ppp connection. So then after a bit
>of searching, I came to my two solutions. scsi-ethernet adapter. searching
>for the cabletron style for sale anywhere revealed nothing.  then the
>other brand xxx/xercom or something. is a driver still in progress? or
>operative?  then someone else said a local computer store has a box of
>such adapters for a fair price.

Look through the last couple weeks of archives of this list. There
has been much discussion on these adapters recently.

>the second way was the appletalk-ethertalk converter box. is netbsd smart
>enough to talk through one of these?

Sorry, but this wouldn't work. NetBSD cannot speak AppleTalk on the
serial port (LocalTalk). Those boxes (iPrint, AsanteTalk, Dayna
EtherPrint, etc) only speak AppleTalk and not TCP/IP. So unless
you've got a GatorBox you really wouldn't be able to do
serial/ethernet conversion. You can either use the ppp that you were
planning on, or you can get the SCSI ethernet adapters.

Sorry,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.