Subject: Re: Problems with NetBSD-1.6 on Macintosh SE/30
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Alexander Koponen <alexander@radiobromma.nu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/2002 01:55:12
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, John Klos wrote:

> >   Sep 25 17:46:07 init: fatal signal: Illegal instruction
>
> Could this be related to the 68040-centric compile of NetBSD-1.6? I don't
> have a 68030 handy at the moment.
>
> What I would try is a kernel compiled specifically for your '030 and for
> the SE/30's hardware. It'll be much smaller and it very well may work.
>
> I can compile one for you on one of my m68k systems if you send me the
> dmesg output. Or maybe someone else has an SE/30 and can send a dmesg?

That would be very nice of you.

How should i create the dmesg? boot up the
install kernel and load the shell and type dmesg from there?

How come it is distributed with a kernel that doesn't work for all
hardware? Isn't that a bit reckless?

I only have one other mac and it's a performa6200 (which wont run linux or
netbsd) so i don't have another box i could compile on, but maybe i could
crosscompile this myself? Maybe not this time, but it would be good to
know for future events.

I want to repeat, isn't it a bit reckless distributing NetBSD with a
kernel that wont boot?

Ah well, I'm just glad someone answered. :)

 -- Psychad, Alexander Koponen