Subject: Re: Harddisks,
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc1@icompute.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/2002 18:45:22
> >On 27.09.02, 19:36:31, Paul Thompson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I know this isn't directly related to NetBSD, but I'm going to ask anyway. I
>>> want to install a bigger hard-drive into my Quadra 650, running netbsd, In
>>> this case I want to do a swap and take the 2gb drive out and put in a bigger
>>> one, The smallest I can find is a 9gb SCSI 3, Ultra Wide, Assuming I get a
>>> cable with the 50 pin SCSI 1 plug on one end and 68 pin plug on the other,
>>> will it work?
>>
>>Yes, most likely.  You will probably not find such a cable directly, but
>>there are adapters to connect wide devices to narrow cables. The disk
>>drive will detect that there is only a narrow, single-ended other end to
>>talk to, and will downgrade accordingly.
>>
>>> Cheers, Paul.
>>>

>>--
>>Bernd Sieker
>>
>>NetBSD - your basement or mine?
>>		-- Julian Assange
>
>Just note
>I've attempted this with a 18.3Gig drive.
>There are possible problems with the adapters and impedence mismatching.
>I cannot get NetBSD up and stable, see earlier posts.
>I haven't given up but I'm rapidly running out of ideas.
>Bob Nestor has had success with a narrow drive and also problems with a
>wide one on a narrow bus with an adapter.
>The NetBSD drivers may be too sensitive to irregularities as MacOS seems OK
>so far.
>Any comments from SCSI or driver wizards out there??
>
>Good luck
>Richard

I'm not a wizard, but I have a couple suggestions.

One, as Bob Nestor has almost certainly already pointed out, termination and
good cables are a big deal.  'nuf said.

Secondly, there are some issues, with some drives, when running a wide
device on a narrow bus.  The drive does not necessarily work right if
some of its control signals (which can be passed on those 8 wires that
are not there....) don't respond correctly.  Sometimes, there is a way to
coax the drive into a "narrow only" stance.

Good luck,

-dgl-