Subject: Re: Harddisks,
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/2002 22:01:11
on 9/27/02 12:02 PM, Richard Massey at richardm@clear.net.nz wrote:

> The NetBSD drivers may be too sensitive to irregularities as MacOS seems OK
> so far.
> Any comments from SCSI or driver wizards out there??

AFAIK you should get an adapter that *terminates* the not connected pins for
some drives. Also termination & termination power on the bus can be tricky
in more modern drives when mixed up with older ones. My advice: alwasy draw
poer from the bus for termination. If ifferent drives provide it, you get a
mess.
An easy diagnosis can be done with a scsi-sniffer (acitver terminator with
leds for the main cables on the bus) and show what lightes up.
I had problems under BSD and MacOS worked fine. a program took 30 secondas
to start up. I corrected the termination rpoblems and the time got under 12
seconds... But no disk utility ever reported an error in both cases.
Brobably mac drivers are more tolerant or capable of some performance
downgrading.

-ric