Subject: Re: network on SE ?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/2002 12:19:50
Hello Eric,

  EG> I would like, for fun, to install netbsd on my old Mac
    > Classic SE. Maybe I can upgrade the internal scsi disk
    > ... (I have a lot of used equipment) but my question
    > is, I don't have network so is there a way to connect
    > this computer anyway to my hub/switch ?

As David has already pointed out, an SE (I'm assuming it's
an SE and not a Classic, they're two different machines) can
not run NetBSD, I think that's because its 68000 processor
lacks the necessary paged memory management unit, but there
are likely to be other reasons too.

If the SE can be upgraded to SE/30 with a simple board-swap,
I may have an SE/30 board that I could send to you.
Alternatively you could use your SE as a terminal connected
to another, perhaps faster, machine that's running NetBSD.

  EG> I don't know about Mac.  I am in i386 architecture
    > world...

If you've got a spare 486 machine laying around then you
may be ablt to run NetBSD/i386 on that.

Hope this helps,
  - Andy Ball.