Subject: Troubles with 1.6 on a IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2002 15:24:53
I just installed 1.6 on a IIci.

The install seemed to go smooth, but the initial testboot refused to load
the kernel on the root partition, so I took the GENERIC (without SBC).

The initial boot directly seemed to succeed. I configured /etc/rc.conf in
single user mode, and typed exit.

Unfortunately, the machine complained about having no /dev/ttyE0 to run
getty on. It did get an IP though.

So I thought, I'll look into that later, and just enable SSH. So I entered
the debugger, sync'ed, and rebooted. (traps while sync'ing btw)

I choose "single user", and enabled ssh. The SSH wouldn't startup though
because no random number device (rnd(4)) was found.

I tried to rebuild devices, but no banana.

I then enabled telnet, and could access the machine. I found out that ttye0
(lowercase) existed, so I made ttyE0 the same node + nr.

Anybody have an idea what went wrong?

(the kernel not being found on the root fs could have to do with booter
2.0.0a7 instead of a10? I'll try to remedy that tonight. A10 got corrupt
during transfer so it seems)