Subject: Re: Firewall question & df weirdness
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: thisplanetsux <thisplanetsux@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/2002 11:04:53
On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:58:42 -0500
"Russ Arcuri" <photo.nut@mindless.com> wrote:

> Thanks, John, for the quick response.  I have a few follow-up
> questions...
>
> > > Current setup: Quadra 700, 68 MB RAM, 1 GB hard drive,
> > > Farallon Ethermac card (ae0), internal ethernet (sn0), and
> > > internal video. Drive partitioned as follows: 60 MB Mac OS,
> > > 100 MB root, 580 MB /usr, 200 MB /var, and 71 MB swap.
> >
> > This type of system can generally handle up to 400k/sec at minimum.
>
> Wow... really?  Maybe I could have built a firewall out of my IIci
> then... I only have to be able to maintain around 100K/second.  You're
> talking about kilobytes, yes?  Not kilobits...

I have several iici's working as firewalls (routing with ipfilter/ipnat).
190KBytes/s seems to be about the upper limit, at least with the flea
market asante lan cards I'm using.  This is plenty for me, since most of
these also need to negotiate 2mbps wireless bridges, so I couldn't  go
much faster if I wanted...