Subject: Re: sysinst bug and errors
To: Takeo Kuwata <tkuwata@virus.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/2002 08:18:13
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Takeo Kuwata wrote:

> >I think you shouldn't use any kernel configured with "options FPSP" on
> >non-68040 Macs.
>
> I think, this is not responsible for the error, which we are talking.
>
> Because the error,
>
> uid 0 comm newfs on /:file system full
> /: write failed, file system is full
>
> was also seen in 68030-Macs with no FPU.
> As Inanaga wrote,
>
> LCIII+ (030/33MHz, no FPU) newfs -> error
> LCIII+ (030/33MHz, + FPU) newfs -> OK

So? FPSP is not FPU_EMULATE. FPU_EMULATE does nothing if you have an
FPU, while FPSP will eventually cause your Mac to try to execute
68040-only extended-fpu instructions, whether it can do so or not.

> >Well, the same error has been reported on other ports but it may be
> >caused by a different set of problems.  There it appeared to be a lack
> >of free space or inodes on the md device.

Well, a similar error is common, but that one isn't followed by a
segfault (or I don't remember that as being so). And the business of
working on full 68040-only is a new twist.

> Is this really the same error? I do not think so.
> This error is not limited in sysinst. Maybe, inodes are not responsible for
> this error.

Right. (Maybe.)

Frederick