Subject: Re: sysinst bug and errors
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/2002 23:07:23
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:

> At 7:50 PM -0500 02.9.2, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
> This error happens on my other FPU-less Macines, LC475, LC III+ and
> PowerBook165. As Takeo Kuwata reported yesterday, 1.6x kernel works fine if
> I put FPU on tLC475 and LC III+.
>
> I wonder that 1.5ZC works fine on my PowerBook 520 (and 1.5.3 on other
> FPU-less machines), but 1.6 sysinst makes error on it. What was changed?

I think you shouldn't use any kernel configured with "options FPSP" on
non-68040 Macs. When FPSP is set at compile time, the floating point
exception vectors in "vectors.s" are set to point into the FPSP code,
which is written in 68040-only assembly. There is no emulation for
those 68040-only instructions, so otherwise recoverable FPU exceptions
turn into "illegal instruction" errors.

Frederick