Subject: Re: desperate problem on the installer
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/2002 00:45:43
on 9/2/02 12:16 AM, Frederick Bruckman at fredb@immanent.net wrote:

> I second that. Be sure to use the 1.6* sysinstall and snapshot,
> as Bob fixed some bugs that will still be present in the older
> development snapshots (such as 1.5ZA).

very kind to help. In the meanwhile i managed to install 1.5ZA more or less.
alle the base packages are there and the basic net and user ocnfiguration is
back. so i am about where i left changing the disk. Wow. the ultrastar woes
(maybe more ram has helped too). The Q610 SCSI controller seems usably fast
towards the MacII and the Q840 (under Netbsd, under Mac there are no big
differences between the computers).

I got the pkg working now too, thanks for the past helps. This proves also
that the disk is OK, since untarring over 100 megabytes stressed the disk
for some time.

Now two more questions
- can I now successfully upgrade to the 1.6 ? how? possibly using a
modem-friendly way. I toured teh website but much of teh documentation is
with the knowledge of afterwards) quite complete guide to pkg and sup.

- i have still the archive which contains the color archive server in the
"contrib" section of 1.5, i never installed it though (dt solves often the
need for X). Is there a newer one? possible problems with 1.6? in the
package tree I found no x-color-server package

greets,
ric