Subject: Re: desperate problem on the installer
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/2002 16:39:57
On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 03:40 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> on 9/1/02 6:44 PM, Bob Nestor at rnestor@augustmail.com wrote:
>
>> Any other problems are most likely disk or SCSI chain related.   NetBSD
>> drivers and such aren't involved at this point in the installation,
>> only
>> MacOS.
>
> hmm, this is worrying. I've experienced this problem since i begun
> fiddling
> with 1.5. On different quadras, different disks, mac IIci... on disks
> that
> were tested heavily under mac os, on internal and external disks. With
> active and passive terminators! This particular case *might* be the new
> disk, put as I installed it 2 months ago i experienced problems like
> this on
> a rock-soldi chain with a proven termination...

There are a number of issues with Mkfs and the Installer.  Both do a
very poor job of dealing with I/O errors.  You really should try the 1.6
Installation Kernel and use the Sysint Method for installing the
system.  If it works then you've isolated the problem to the MacOS
utilities which you no longer need since you've completed the NetBSD
installation.  If it gives you the similar types of errors that would
suggest you have problems with your disk and/or SCSI chain.

You mentioned you're using a 7200rpm  2 Gig UltraStar XP.  I've used
both install methods with various 7200rpm 4.3Gig UltraStar XPs,
configured as internal and external drives.

-bob