Subject: Re: desperate problem on the installer
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/2002 11:44:42
On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 10:57 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> on 9/1/02 5:51 PM, Bob Nestor at rnestor@augustmail.com wrote:
>
>> The Installer is a MacOS application and it relies on MacOS for doing
>> the disk I/O.  Generally problems like the one you're seeing are SCSI
>> Bus termination issues (if there isn't some other problem with the disk
>> itself).
>>
> are you sure? i always corretly terminate the disks. They always worked
> fine
> under macos. This problem happened to me before. IN this case it is very
> simple: i have one internal disk, terminated. I cheked the disk for bad
> sector without reporting problems.

Am I sure about how the disk I/O is done in the Installer?  Yes.  Steve
Brown lifted the I/O routines from Mkfs after I added the 10-byte SCSI
command support.

Any other problems are most likely disk or SCSI chain related.   NetBSD
drivers and such aren't involved at this point in the installation, only
MacOS.

>> If you are trying to install a 1.6_RC system or a -current snapshot you
>> should try booting and Installation kernel and using the sysinst
>> method.  It is _much_ faster and simpler.
>
> i'm installing the same 1.5ZA I had on the other disk, I thought of
> waiting
> for a stable 1.6 so not to add further problems.

1.6 has been pretty stable for some time now, especially on the mac68k
port.

-bob