Subject: Re: desperate problem on the installer
To: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/2002 10:51:13
On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 10:21 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> I got a new, smaller and more spacious scsi disk for my Mac (Ultrastar
> XP
> 7200 rmp 2gb) to replace the old full-size 5.25" incher I had. I begin
> install, decide to reinstall everything... BUT, damn! This idiotic
> installer
> which gives always scsi read problems acts worse than ever: it doesn't
> even
> create devices. I installed parts of the packages, but without devices I
> can't even boot and do the trick of finishing installation from within
> MacBSD.

The Installer is a MacOS application and it relies on MacOS for doing
the disk I/O.  Generally problems like the one you're seeing are SCSI
Bus termination issues (if there isn't some other problem with the disk
itself).

If you are trying to install a 1.6_RC system or a -current snapshot you
should try booting and Installation kernel and using the sysinst
method.  It is _much_ faster and simpler.

-bob