Subject: Re: Still dumb - another newbie question
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2002 19:44:18
on 8/30/02 7:10 PM, Lincoln Rutledge at lrutledge@fairfield.lib.oh.us wrote:

> I didn't realize that the MacOS setting would have anything to do with it...
> I will have to look at that.  Now, I have to say that I am running a straight
> base install of System 7.1, and I'm using a chintsy VGA adaptor that came with
> a new monitor to plug my monitor in (PC 15-pin vga monitor), and I *think*
> I've tried switching resolutions in MacOS, but no other options were available
> or they were grayed out (I know nothing about MacOS).  Are there any tricks to
> that/ additional stuff to install to switch resolutions on a non-Apple monitor
> like that?

yes, those adaptors send on three pins the "kind" of monitors. VGA has also
ID pins (ever heard of Windows plug and play?) but obviously slighlty
different.
SO if you have no switches on the adaptor, youstick to 640x480, as this is
what macos recognises. If you have some switches on the adaptor you can
"fake" what monitor you want (be careful)

-ric