Subject: Re: SCSI DMA on Quadra 840AV?
To: Russ Arcuri <photo.nut@mindless.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/2002 17:38:14
Russ Arcuri wrote:
> Hi all,

> Two questions:
>
> 1. What's the current status on scsi dma?

I have an implementation that does DMA to/from a 4k bounce buffer. However,
NetBSD is capable of more than this. I am currently trying to convert the code
to use bus_dma() so that the driver can DMA directly to/from the memory where
the data needs to go, rather than having to go through the bounce buffer (and
the attendant bcopy's) first.

I have converted my code to use bus_dma and I'm debugging it. The last time I
worked on it, I was having a problem where the data was being DMAed into the
buffer at the lowest level but no data seemed to appear to levels above (like
the generic SCSI code). I think there's a wrong address somewhere but I'm not
sure where it is.

I'd like to work on this ASAP, but work and home life have been taking
precidence lately. I hope to get some time to work on this in the next couple of
months.

Stay up to date on the NetBSD list. I'll post any announcements here.

> 2. What's the real-world disk performance like on the Quadra 840AV with the current (1.5.3)
> distribution?  I'm trying to decide whether a Quadra 700 or 840AV would be more suitable for
> my purposes.

The performance of the AV's using the current PIO driver is abysmal.

I suggest you setup your stuff on the Q700 for now and, when DMA becomes
available, move your setup to the Q840AV later. I think the speed increase of
DMA should be worth it.

Before I release any code I'll see if I can run some bonnie benchmarks.

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald