Subject: Re: sysinst
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Daniel Parks <daniel@mwdesign.dyndns.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/07/2002 12:40:02
Just completed an install with the install kernel from the 20020629-1.6
snapshot:
> $ uname -a
> NetBSD moria.middle.earth 1.6B NetBSD 1.6B (GENERIC) #6: Sat Jun 29 22:39:
> 41 PDT 2002     root2@c610:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC mac68k

 From Bob's install doc:
> [ . . . ] the system can probably be squeezed onto a 40 MB hard disk by
> leaving off an unnecessary set or two. To actually do much compiling or
> anything more interesting than booting, at least 8 MB of RAM and more
> disk space is recommended. About 95 MB will be necessary to install all
> of the NetBSD1.6_BETA1 binary system distribution sets [ . . . ]

I tried to install base, etc, kern, man, and comp on my 141 MB partition
and it ran out of space while unpacking comp. Somehow this corrupted the
disk pretty badly; fsck wasn't able to fix it. Right now, base, etc, kern,
  and man are taking up 76 MB. Looks like comp should just fit (ungzipped,
it's about 50 MB), but seeing the mess pax made before, I don't want to
risk it.

On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 07:49  PM, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> Another thing threw me for a loop, but it seems to be the fault of the
> Booter, rather than sysinstall. Booter 2.0.0a10 uses a wierd heuristic
> for determining the root partition, while it ignores bzbFlags. I had
> to get the "Name" field with FWB Tools, and put that in the Booter's
> "partition" box. (Apple Disk Setup fills that field with "untitled",
> "untitled 2", and so on.)

I think I ran into the same problem -- I put swap before root for some
reason (Guess I should have read the install docs more carefully) and the
booter tried to boot off the swap partition. Hmm, I wonder why that won't
work. (-; I was able to fix it by changing the partition IDs in pdisk (the
ultimate partitioning tool).

Other than those two problems, it went smoothly. Thanks Bob!

Daniel

--
PGP public key: http://mwdesign.dyndns.org/~daniel/publickey.txt
ACA4 FA04 4033 0569 C626  AA1A C489 25A5 5F67 C125