Subject: Re: Random Illegal instruction while running 1.5.2 on IIci
To: Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/2002 03:35:37
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Eric Masson wrote:

> I've installed stock 1.5.2 on a IIci (16MB ram, freshly bought) :
>
> The box randomly throws 'illegal instruction' exceptions once the kernel
> has been loaded.
>
> I've googled about this behaviour and it seems it could be related with
> fpu emulation (doh, there's a 68882 in this box)

Try building a kernel without "options FPSP", and booting from that.
You might as well comment out "options FPU_EMULATE", too, while you're
at it. I believe there is a problem with FPSP on non-68040 Macs: it
looks to me as if any floating point exception will lead to execution
of FPSP code, which contains 68040X floating point instructions, some
of which are illegal on 68882.

> The problem stills on a second IIci with 64 MB freshly bought ram, with
> or without the cache card.

Frederick