Subject: Re: NetBSD install question - annoying newbie type
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Bartlett <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/2002 13:18:15
>Have a Quadra 610 leaning against the wall.  I have
>everything I need to do the install, but alas I have
>no mouse.  I am stupid with MacOS 7 and don't know if
>I can make a boot disk with the number-pad-mouse deal
>so I can prepare my partitions.  I have all original
>docs that came with the machine, and the
>number-pad-mouse app is the only way that I can find
>to prepare my hard drive without a mouse...  Anyone
>know of a way to do this?  I can't do it by booting to
>the hard drive, since it won't let me blow away my
>partition that I have booted from...

Having just done the install, I can tell you that it will be easier with
a mouse. If you have a numberpad to mouse app (or use Apple's Easy Access
to let the arrow keys work as mouse control), you should be able to do
it. The mouse is only used to select some stuff in the Mac world to get
initially setup. It will just be a bit more tedious without the mouse.

>I suppose worst case I'll just drive 60 miles to the
>'local' mac store and get a mouse (I need a nic too).

You won't find a nic for a Q610 at any computer store. Actually, I am
going to guess you aren't looking for one for the Q610 as I thought all
the "quadra" versions of the 610 shipped with on board ethernet. If in
fact that is the machine you want it for, make sure you don't have
onboard ethernet first. It should be a small plug on the back, looks kind
of like a small rectangle, and it has a double headed arrow icon on it
(dots between two arrow heads like this <...> but with the dots centered).

That is an AAUI port. You will need a transceiver to connect that to your
ethernet network. I will almost promise you that no computer store will
carry a transceiver for AAUI to anything (it is different than the
standard AUI transceivers).

And finding an ADB mouse even at a store that sells mac stuff, is going
to be difficult. All they seem to sell these days is USB mice.

Your best bet, if you need parts is to check someplace like the LowEndMac
swap list (go to lowendmac.com and check their mailing lists). Or,
SmallDog.com has a "garage sale" section. I know they had ADB trackpads
available there not long ago. I think they were $2 or $5 each. They will
work in place of a mouse, and actually work pretty well (I bought 5 of
them). I don't remember if they had the AAUI transceivers, but I know
they are available on the LEM swap list (usually about $10 or $15).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>