Subject: SCSI read error during base.tgz install
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Bartlett <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/2002 14:45:20
I am trying to install NetBSD mac68k 1.5 on a Quadra 610. I have a conner
(non Apple ROM) 1 gig SCSI drive internal, and an Apple CD drive that I
have booted from, and I have all my files on.

I am following Matt Theobald's walk thru to do the install.

Every time I try it, I get about 9/10th's of the way thru the base.tgz
unpacking/install, and it reports a SCSI Read Error #5, and then hangs.
(Force Quit locks up the system, and I can't do anything else, so each
time I have just had to hit the reset button).

I am fairly sure the HDD is ok, but I can't completely rule out it being
a problem (using a hacked version of Apple's HD SC, it inits ok, and
passes the testing ok, and I had it in service running OS 8 with Quid Pro
Quo and NetPrezence for about a year without any problems... shy of Quid
Pro Quo freezing from time to time, but it does that on a few different
machines I have, so I chalk that up to the software, not the hardware).
Unfortunatly, I don't have any other SCSI drives near its size available
(everything else is in the 40 or 80 MB size), or I would have swapped
drives already.

Anyone have any clue as to why this keeps happening? And any idea how to
get around it? Is it the HDD? I don't think it is the fact that I am
reading from a CD, since I tried moving all the CD files to an external
hard drive and the same thing happened. I also tried downloading and
replacing the base.tgz file, that didn't help, so I don't think it is a
corrupt file.

Anything else that might do it? or should I just start the hunt now for
another 1 gig SCSI drive?

Thanks

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>