Subject: Re: wsconsctl doesn't work for me
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/2002 11:00:49
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Hauke Fath wrote:

> While we are at it: I find that moving around with the cursor keys on
> mac68k frequently inserts keys, as if vi had dropped part of the escape
> sequence. Having to resort to 'hjkl' makes the vi experience even worse...

I don't use the Mac's console much, but I see the same thing over
"ssh" over "ppp". I haven't had much luck getting mapped keys to
behave reasonably over a slow link, myself, but the settings to play
with are "keytime", "escapetime", and "timeout". ["escapetime" doesn't
seem to be documented -- I just now got that out of the source. Now I
see why "keytime" didn't work for me, before...] So the setting to
make mappings that start with <escape> act like other mappings:

	set escapetime=6

If your Mac is really slow, you might set both higher:

	set keytime=15
	set escapetime=15

You can even turn "timeout"'s off, with

	set notimeout

but I think that would act funny.

[As you probably know, you could either type those commands at the `:'
prompt, or add them to "~/.exrc".]

Frederick