Subject: Re: exec /sbin/init: error 8 on an LC II
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Buxton <davidbuxton@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/2002 09:32:45
on 18/4/2002 6:02 am, Stefan Witzgall at stefan.witzgall@online.de wrote:

> Then I tried to boot the machine. The messages rolled down the screen until
> the process stopped. Some of the last lines read:

> boot device: sd1
> root on sd1a dumbs on sd1b
> root files system type: ffs
> exec /sbin/init: error 8
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> Stopped in init at _cpu_Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
> db>
>
> Then the only thing I could do was to restart the machine. I could not type
> any single letter with the keyboard.

Hi Stefan,

I just installed NetBSD 1.5.2 from the ISO image on my Centris 660 AV and
had the same problem, which may be related to yours. In my case, I found a
reference to the solution in the archive (from this January I think) that
the 1.5.2 distribution kernel was broken for the Centris 660 AV, and the
solution was to try with the -current kernel and booter.

I grabbed the binary kernel from -current and the latest version of the
booter and immediately it worked. I realize you said you installed the
latest available version, but just in case you did not mean the -current
version I thought I'd mention this.

Hope this helps,

David B.