Subject: Re: -current/in-kernel pppoe
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/2002 15:18:11
>Le mercredi 20 f=E9vrier 2002, =E0 05:13 , til a =E9crit :
>>I think the best way would be to reinstall everything. Now i read
>>that the in-kernel pppoe in netbsd-current is much faster that the
>>rp-pppoe one.
>
>It is WAY much faster !

I've found that my issues are with the Ethernet performance not
rp-pppoe.  I've checked out my IIci gateway box running streaming
mp3s to my iTunes-playing G4 and found that the system was using the
cpu not rp-pppoe.  (For a 128kbs stream, top showed a pppoe number of
around 2% of the user processes with those being ~5% of my cpu usage
with the rest being system usage.  Halve these numbers for a 56kbs
stream.)  In addition, I checked my Ethernet performance with ttcp to
my G4 and found that I was getting ~300KBs for ethernet performance,
way below the theoretical max of 1.25MBs of 10BaseT.
--
Randy Beaudreault

"Spam in a can" - a description of the first astronauts

"Love is like solving the perfect murder.  It's good to be good,
but better to be lucky" - Det. Frank Pembleton
=46rom the show, "Homicide: Life On The Street"