Subject: Linux ABI translation (was 1.5.2 kernel)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2002 20:24:55
> > As it stands, the only m68k Linux binary I have doesn't appear to work
> > yet;  I'm not sure if this is due to problems with the ABI translation,
> > the need for Linux libraries, the fact that port-Amiga uses 8k pages...
> > but I'm more concerned with getting the toolchain to self-build. Maybe
> > Frederick might have a guess..
>
> What goes wrong?

The only m68k Linux binary I have is some precompiled binary that
calculates pi. I'm sure I could get Linux binaries from inside of the
Debian .deb files, but I have this for now. I got it from:
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/5815/program.html

I get:
lilith: {3} ./pi_css5
./pi_css5: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

> What does "file" say? A binary that was pointed out to me as a linux
> binary was reported by "file" to be svr4. With COMPAT_LINUX plus
> COMPAT_SVR4, it ran! I didn't bother to try with only one or the other.

lilith: {4} file pi_css5
pi_css5: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, Motorola 68000, version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, stripped

What system did you get it to run on? Mine's a 68060 Amiga with:
options         COMPAT_SUNOS    # Support to run Sun (m68k) executables
options         COMPAT_SVR4     # Support to run SVR4 (m68k) executables
options         COMPAT_NOMID    # allow nonvalid machine id executables
options         COMPAT_LINUX    # Support to run Linux/m68k executables
options         EXEC_ELF32      # 32-bit ELF executables (Linux, SVR4)
options         COMPAT_AOUT_M68K

I'm trading shells with someone who's running Linux/m68k, so I'll have a
development test machine soon, but in the meanwhile I wouldn't mind some
other ideas...

Thanks,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs